Favorite Things

I've seen lots of other blogs where they talk about their favorite things. I thought I'd jump 
on the bandwagon and tell you a couple of mine.

First is this-
Now, I have boys. After about the age of 3, boys don't really like to color.
They're all about jumping and destroying things.
When they do color, it's usually on my walls. 
(Just found a new one this morning.Great.)
This aversion to coloring can make sacrament meeting an added challenge.
I look behind me and see adorable little girls all focused on their princess coloring books. *sigh*
My boys are rolling under the benches and roaring their cars against the backs of the people in front of us.
But, I've discovered that a 64 pack of crayons is a magic wand.
Something about all those colors, I guess. 
The four removable boxes are also great, because they can be spread throughout the whole bench.
So, if your church bag seems a little boring, I'd highly suggest a new box of crayons. 
Definitely worth the $3.97 I spent.

Now, my ultimate, all time favorite-

Yes, olive oil.
No, not for cooking. I must admit, I rarely cook with it. I feel like I don't know what to do with it.  But, I do use it daily- in the bathroom.
Here's the story. 
My sisters always tell me the reason I have better skin than them, (less dry), is because our mom slathered me with baby oil when I was a baby.  I didn't really believe them. 
Then, I saw this TV show where an African-American woman was putting olive oil on her baby.  She said they don't bathe their babies for the first month, just rub them with oil.
Maybe my sisters were right. 
So, I bought some olive oil. That was 2 years ago, and I always have some now.  I buy the cheaper stuff- just pure olive oil, not virgin.  I use it as a make-up remover and moisturizer.  I'll put in on my face and neck and leave it for 5-10 minutes.  Then, I wipe it off.  I've also put it on my hair for 20 minutes, then wash.
It's amazing. Really.
As a woman who is *ahem* aging, I'll tell you my skin isn't what it used to be. I get these weird, bumpy patches on my cheeks and forehead.  When I'm consistent with the oil, they go away.  Olive oil has improved my skin and I can tell when I haven't been using it.  Plus, it's a lot cheaper than those expensive creams and moisturizers.
Oh! and one of the best uses- Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup olive oil. Use as a body scrub in the shower. The sugar will exfoliate and the oil (which won't rinse off, but that's ok, you'll rub it in as you dry) will moisturize like crazy. I do this once a week and it makes your skin as soft as a baby's bottom. Lovely.
And, if you have a baby- I'd seriously try it. The difference in my skin and my sisters is huge.  Thanks mom!

Comments

Post a Comment

Are you one of the three? Stand up and be counted!

Popular posts from this blog

On Turning 56 and Leaning In

Seeing Myself As I Am