I'm Being Stalked by diet Coke


The silver can calls to me. A bead of condensation breaks free and rolls down the side.  Chhhshhhhhh.  I watch my sister drink the ice cold soda and my throat feels parched.  The glass of water sitting in front of me looks tasteless and dull. sigh.

I love diet Coke.  It's a part of my day. Everyday.  I get a sense of comfort seeing the 12 pack in the fridge.  I look forward to that first taste.  A 44 ounce from the corner gas station is my favorite treat. Was.

I broke up with diet Coke 4 days ago.  I know, I know.   I've done it before.  I always go back.  But, this time I mean it. Maybe.

21 days.

That's my goal.  They say (who are 'they' anyway?) that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit.  21 days just might break me.  It's just soda, right?  Problem is, it's everywhere.

In the grocery store when I check out, my arm automatically reaches for the cooler door. Oops. Grit my teeth and pay without that cold bottle in my hand.

At the gas station where I know they have fountain (my favorite way to drink it) and my mouth starts to water at the thought. Dang!

And, anytime I'm with my sisters.  We go out to lunch and they each order 'diet Coke with lime' and I get it with lemon. We laugh.  It's a bonding thing.  Guess we'll have to bond another way.

Why, you ask would I put myself through this?  A couple reasons.  One is my chronic headaches.  I don't know that they're related, but I'd like to find out.  Second, it is a habit and not a good one.  You know, part of that whole 'improving myself'' thing.  Funny, I don't feel 'better'.  Perhaps more time. Ugh!

So, I need to get some blinders to keep me focused, keep those sneaky cans and bottles from getting back in.    Or, maybe I'll just stay in my room for 21 days.  It's gonna be a long 3 weeks.

Comments

  1. Ah. Diet Coke. Another vice I picked up this summer. I'm with ya on this one. I'm tryin' to kick it too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Are you one of the three? Stand up and be counted!

Popular posts from this blog

On Turning 56 and Leaning In

Seeing Myself As I Am