Three Questions

Question #1-
Do you ever fell like you don't do much to change the world? Like everyone around you is making a difference, but you're stuck in neutral, only affecting your immediate personal bubble? Do you look at the movers and shakers and wish the only thing that shook wasn't your thighs?  Have you ever thought that maybe, if you weren't around, not much would change?

Question #2-
Has someone done something in your life, that to others may seem minuscule, but to you, it changed everything?  You know, a small kindness or offering that came exactly when you needed it.  A prayer answered.  It could have been a gift or a smile or a compliment.  A boost when you were down, a hand, a pat on the back.  And, while the giver may not ever know what they've done, your world will never be the same.

Do you see where I'm going? Question two answers question one. We all walk through this life, doing our best to keep going, sure that everyone around us is more confident, more sure.  There  is no way that anyone else could have the insecurities and doubts that we have.  Surely we are less than all of them.
And, yet, we have the ability to reach out and make a difference.  It may be small, simple, so very unnoticed by anyone else.  But, the receiver can be forever transformed by the acts we perform. If we will just take the initiative and do it.

The reason for my questions today is the small, and seemingly simple acts of kindness I've received of late.  You may or may not know that I've written a book.  It is near and dear to my heart.  It was born of an idea that I love- that our daughters, girls of the world, need to know their worth.  They are a gifted generation and they must understand how powerful they can be.  I spent a year writing it, then, in my naive enthusiasm, sent it out with high hopes of that elusive prize.  I took the rejections well, not even a tear.  I was so sure that someone would see the virtue of what I'd written.

Now, a year later, I've pulled my book off the proverbial shelf.  I've edited and worked in hopes of polishing it so that it's true beauty might shine.  But, there, living in the back of my mind, are those doubts.  Maybe it isn't good enough.  Maybe my writing isn't developed enough.  Perhaps I'm just not enough.

In a moment of desperation-driven courage, I sent pages to some of my blogging friends and asked for input. Be honest, I pleaded.  If this is a pipe dream then let me put it to rest.
What I got back was more than I could have ever hoped for.  I worried a bit that they were 'just being nice', but had to remind myself that they don't even know me, so why would they?  They gave me advice, told me what didn't work, or what did.  The most amazing compliment was when one of them said if she gave it to her daughter to read, she'd be thrilled with it. I get teary every time I think about that.

Did they think they were moving mountains with their words of encouragement. I'm sure not. Nevertheless, mountains were moved.  Mountains of self-doubt and worry- gone. My view is clear again and I have the confidence I need to go forward.  Simple words changed the world- my world.

Question #3-
If something so small could make such a great difference, what could you do?

Comments

  1. Well, it IS an awesome book, you know :). And I think we have all felt those feelings of inadequacies - some of us every day. And I know I will never do anything like write a book, but I know I can do some thing . . . To make someone's life a little better. Thanks for your beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still "owe" you an e-mail that I'm hoping to get to tomorrow. And still looking forward to reading more when you want to share. ;)

    And I think we all have a tendency to underestimate the power of "little things." It's so daunting to imagine trying to change the world, but it's a lot more manageable to just try to just a moment or two in someone else's day with a kind word or deed. Those small things can have endless ripple effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think it's a great book, and I still think about it often like I do when I haven't finished a book yet and am wondering what happened.

    Thank you for this post. Sometimes I'm afraid of saying things- even nice things, because I'm afraid it'll bother the person. But I realize now, that just as much as little words mean to me, they might mean to others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going with your book. There are so many stories out there about now successful authors who went through YEARS of rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While discussing the power of positive communication with a friend the other day she said, "we all think those good thoughts about each other we just forget to say them". I agree- we need to share our positive thoughts more- they do move mountains!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Are you one of the three? Stand up and be counted!

Popular posts from this blog

On Turning 56 and Leaning In

Seeing Myself As I Am