Tick-Tock



I hate daylight savings time.
Forget the 'extra hour of sleep'--I can get that on a lazy Sunday afternoon while my kids watch Nickelodeon. Daylight savings is a sleep schedule ruiner. It throws all of us off, and sleep schedules are important.

You learn this from the moment you have children. People ask-
"Is he sleeping well?"
"Is he sleeping through the night?"
"Is he on a schedule?"

My babies were never on a schedule. I figured that babies are intuitive beings. They are moved by need- they need to eat, they eat; they need to sleep they sleep; they need to poop, you know, they do. And, I met their needs, my own be damned.  While they were infants.

Now, however, they are not babies. They are old enough to have schedules. And daylight savings has messed it up- again.

My kids are early risers. 6am is a normal waking time. I try my very hardest to get them to stay in bed till 7- "See this clock, when it says 7:00 you can get out of bed."

It doesn't usually work.

But, now, with lame daylight savings, their bodies think 5am is 6am and they are up and bright-eyed long before I am. And after years of putting their needs before mine, it's time to say enough.
So I try to make them stay up later at night, Ever try to stop a 7 year-old from falling asleep? Kind of like fighting with a tidal wave. There's no holding it back.

So, I'll struggle for the next couple weeks, trying to get them back on track. Then they'll be on a schedule again and things can go back to normal. Until daylight savings rolls around in April and ruins things again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Turning 56 and Leaning In

Seeing Myself As I Am