Own It.

If someone asked me if I was a good cook, I would answer quickly, without hesitation. (I might even puff out my chest a bit.) “Heck, yeah, I am.”

I have no problem admitting that. None. Yet, if someone asked me if I was a good writer, I’d pause. “Well… other people have said that I am.” Then I’d probably follow up with, “I’m not published or anything.”

Why? Why not say what I want to say- “Yes. I am a damn good writer.” (Because I am.)

I think there’s too much self-depreciation in our humility. We’re afraid that if we say we’re good at something others will see us as conceited instead of confident. But this kind of humility doesn’t do anyone any good.

One of my favorite quotes supports this idea-

“We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.”*

Perhaps we should ask ourselves what God would think of our false humility. Since He is the One who gave us our gifts, who knows better than anyone how talented we are, who wants more than anything for us to develop ourselves and shine in this dark world, He is the One who would want us to own who we are and what we can do.

“Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. “

You serve the world by being confident. A confident person lifts others with their talent and knowledge. They aren’t boastful or proud, but they also aren’t afraid to share what they have.

“And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

You have a light within you. Don’t snuff it out. Accept it. Own it. Let it shine, and as you do, others will feel the confidence to do the same.

*Quote by Marianne Williamson's book A Return to Love. Read the entire quote here.

Comments

  1. Heck yeah, you are a damn good writer. Great post, something we all could think about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Are you one of the three? Stand up and be counted!

Popular posts from this blog

On Turning 56 and Leaning In

Seeing Myself As I Am