National Poetry Month

This one is for real. I've been writing poetry since I was a little girl, it was my first form of written expression. So, in honor of this month, I thought that I would share one of my poems. This one is sort of old, but I like it. I couldn've tried to write one, but with the way I'm feeling it'd be something about how men should get to have cramps or how being overweight should be considered desirable. So, to spare you my sarcasm, here it is.

Drought



Love flows,

Like water over parched earth,

From heart to heart.

Bringing new, green life

To all it touches.



I have stood in summer storms,

As the heavens opened

And love poured from the sky.

Drenched, I shivered,

Not at the cold,

But, because of abundance.

It ran down my face-

Teardrops-

And dripped from my fingertips,

So that all I touched

Sparkled like morning dew.



I have sat in winter watching,

Snowflakes

Wander from the clouds.

They caught in my hair,

And stuck to my lashes.

Warmth flows outward from a heart

Filled.



Now, I lay in springtime sifting

Dry earth through my fingers.

My hungry heart waits

For the thirst-quenching liquid of life.

The sun burns cold on my soul.

Raindrops and snowflakes

Are but memories.

So, I pray with my

Mother Earth

For an end to the

Drought.

Comments

  1. love this poem, you have such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love poetry, but becaue of my mom's talent and ability I always felt too intimidated to try writing myself. What a great expression, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are sweet.
    Lia, you should try anyway. I'm sure you'd be great at it! Maybe you inherited it from your mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Are you one of the three? Stand up and be counted!

Popular posts from this blog

On Turning 56 and Leaning In

Seeing Myself As I Am